Monday, July 7, 2014

SEEING KANSAS CITY THROUGH NEW EYES


My niece and her friend came to visit us in Kansas City the other weekend, and we had a blast.  I love when we have visitors so that we can see the city through new eyes and fall in love with it all over again.  It's fun playing a tourist in your own city.  These ladies were up for anything and were so sweet, and I had such a great time going about town with them. 

Our first stop was the 39th Street West area, home of the always fabulous Donna's Dress Shop

The next day we had a bit of a scare with Maisy Mae.  I took her to the vet since she was sneezing up a storm and turns out she has the bunny snuffles.  An adorable name for a somewhat serious bunny cold.  She's on antibiotics now, though, and seems to be feeling a lot better. 

So after we got all that cleared up, we decided to head out to hear some live music in Lawrence.  But first, we had to start the night off right with fruity (virgin) drinks served in real pineapples.  (See here for my recipe for a large batch of this delicious drink.  Just leave out the rum for the virgin version.) 

Maisy Mae wanted in the pictures, too.
The last day of their visit, we went down to the City Market to look around at the farmer's market and made a quick stop at Beignet.  I visited New Orleans when I was in 8th grade and have always had a hankering to have those delicious beignets again.  These were ok, but didn't quite melt in my mouth the way the ones in New Orleans did.  Still, it was fun to introduce the girls to them.


Last time the girls visited, we explored the Nelson Atkins Museum, so this time we just enjoyed a fun picnic on the expansive lawn. 

We even saw Not a Planet, the awesome band from the night before, playing bocce ball.  It's a small, wonderful world.


The weekend was fully complete when we all made flower crowns.  Sure, we could have just bought one from H&M, but this was a lot more fun and let us each customize ours to our own specifications.  (I even made a smaller version for my 2 year old niece.)

Hanging out with these beautiful ladies reminded me how each of us has our own likes and dislikes that make us unique, and I really admired how these girls were so supportive of one another even though they have different tastes.  They are a wonderful example of how girls should support one another, while still being proud of who they are.  They're headed off to college this fall.  They have the world at their fingertips.  I know they will stumble at times, but I also know that they have tremendous things ahead of them.  I'm so excited to hear about all of their adventures.  Setting out on your own is scary, but knowing you have a good friend to always turn to makes it a lot easier.


Thanks for the fabulous weekend ladies!!  Come back soon!


Do you feel the same way about having visitors and seeing your city through new eyes?

And if you feel like mingling with other bloggers, jump over to Life of Meg's Monday Mingle blog link up, a great way to learn about fun new blogs!


20 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, it's awesome to get to show people around your town! When I lived in Malaysia, a couple times people came to visit us and coming up with all the sites they HAD to visit was so fun. I love all of your matching flower crowns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel! The crowns were so fun to make! I bet your visitors loved having a personal tour guide through Malaysia. It's always nice visiting a place where someone you know lives so that they can show you all the places off the main path that you might have missed. Hope you're having a great day!

      Delete
  2. so fun!! I totally agree about having visitors. Tyler's parents are coming in town to visit next weekend and we are making a long list of the places we want to take them!!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! I'm sure they'll love all the places you pick out. Hope you're having a great day, Darcy!

      Delete
  3. I absolutely LOVE being a tourist in KC! It is so awesome! I am so glad you had a a great time with the girls! Those flower crowns are so pretty! I love them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're SO sweet, Jenna! Thank you! It was fun doing a craft project together:) I hope you're having a great day!!

      Delete
  4. What gorgeous girls you all are, and you're the coolest auntie I think. Kansas looks like a really interesting place to explore, I shall immediately add it to my wish list of places to visit! I love the flower crowns, so pretty. I know what you mean about having the world at their fingertips, it's an exciting time, and I wish them both the very best of times. Adventures await! CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet, CJ:) Yes, add it to your places to visit, and I'll be your tour guide. Whenever I'm in your neck of the woods, I'd love it if you showed me around your favorite places, too:) I hope you're having a wonderful day!

      Delete
  5. This looks like such a great time! So glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ginny! I hope you're having a great day!

      Delete
  6. Oh my word, you guys are all too cute for words!! I love falling in love with this city - it's the best :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, shucks:) Thanks, Jess!! KC is the best! Hope you're having a great day!!

      Delete
  7. I love this idea- being a tourist in your own city. You can live in KC for years and not think to get out there and do some of the more "touristy" bits. Glad you showed the girls a good time! :)

    -Ashley
    http://lestylorouge.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ashley:) I'm so guilty of getting stuck in my own routine and not experiencing some of the new places around town. That's what out of town guests are for, right? To make you visit all these places:) Hope you're having a great day!

      Delete
  8. Your photos are gorgeous! Teach me how to use my camera! ;)
    So glad you had a great time with the girls. I always love browsing at Donna's Drress Shop and I love the idea of a picnic on Nelson Atkins' lawn. Too fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Meg!!! I basically have one manual setting I leave the camera on that seems to work really well, so I can show you that limited piece of information:) I love how having out of town guests forces me to do things we talk about but never actually do--like a picnic in front of the Nelson. My husband and I lived across the street from the Nelson for 3 years and never did that:) At least I can cross it off my bucket list now. Hope you're having a great day!

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor Maisy Mae! I know your niece had a great time! You have a unique aunt/niece relationship since you're not several decades older than her! I'm sure it was a weekend to remember for them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh poor Maisy Mae! hope she is all better now. She is the cutest bunny I ever did see, and I had a bunny when I was a youngen. Also now I want to go to Kansas City!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Kari, you took them to do so many fun things! I bet they loved their visit. And how cute that you all make it a priority to get together to do fun things. The state of Kansas should sponsor your blog! You pictures and stories have made me feel like I'd love to visit Kansas too.

    ReplyDelete

I truly appreciate each comment! I love hearing from you guys and treasure every one. I respond to comments via e-mail if you have yours enabled. This is going to be a great day!