Friday, May 16, 2014

LEARNING TO FLY


When I got home tonight, I found this little guy hopping around our front yard.  We had found a little nest in a little shrub by our house a few weeks ago and saw three little eggs nestled safely inside. 


When we checked a few days ago, the shells were gone and in their place were three little baby birds with their beaks wide open waiting for their mom to come back with food.


The other two baby birds had left the nest, but seemed safer covered by our landscaping.  This little guy, though, had forged his way out on his own.  I was scared for him and could tell by the chirping of 4-5 birds overhead that they were, too. 

Don't worry, I didn't touch the little guy.  He has to make it on his own, and I didn't want to do anything that would hinder his mom not coming to feed him.  I did read an article online that said baby birds usually just hop around for a day or two out of the nest before they start flying.

Watching this little bird out in a the wide open with his mom looking helplessly on, I thought how terrifying it must be to be a mother.  Bringing a piece of you into the world and then having to let nature take its course as your little one braves the world alone. 


And all you can do is chirp and flap your wings on the sidelines trying to distract those that may wish him harm.


Towards dusk, I saw the baby bird hopping back to the cover of the bushes, so I hope he's ok tonight.  He assumes there is nothing but lush green grass and cool breezes, but hasn't yet had to face the perils of the world. 

I'm sure his mom will be keeping watchful vigilance, though.  At the time, I was thinking how terrible it must be to be a bird and not be able to scoop your baby up and bring them to safety.  Then I realized that once we humans leave the "nest" and go off to college or to travel the world, all our parents can do is sit and watch and hope we are able to use everything they taught us to make it on our own.

It's humbling to think about the similarities between us all and how it is such a gift of love to be able to learn how to fly.


12 comments:

  1. What a lovely and poignant comparison. I agree, totally, how frightening to let someone you love go and learn to fly on their own, but what a gift to see them soar...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Suzanne! I hope you have a great weekend:)

      Delete
  2. This is a gorgeous post and it hits right home, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lix:) Hope you have a great weekend:)

      Delete
  3. What a great post, Kari! I hope you have a great weekend!
    www.amemoryofus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Darcy! Hope you have a great weekend, too!

      Delete
  4. I left for college this past year and my mom had a hard time letting me learn to fly on my own. The comparison is spot on and the beauty of new life is amazing. Hope you have a great weekend Kari!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a hard transition. Especially since you both are falling into different roles now. Did you have a good first year at college? I was homesick my first year of college and would go home a lot on the weekends:) I guess it's hard for the "babies", too:) I hope you have a great weekend, too, Jenna!

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful post Kari. I do hope that little bird will be okay. It's a tough world out there! I hope you guys have a good weekend. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I love the beginning of spring when all the little birdies start to hatch. I've seen the baby geese around the job, they are so cute. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those pictures, Kari. The baby bird is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a neat post and perspective on life and motherhood!

    ReplyDelete

I truly appreciate each comment! I love hearing from you guys and treasure every one. I respond to comments via e-mail if you have yours enabled. This is going to be a great day!