Monday, January 13, 2014

BIRTHDAY RECAP (PART 2)

Since everyone needs a birthday week instead of just a day, we kept the celebration going when we went out with my brother and sister-in-law a few days later (see Birthday Recap part 1 here).

They outdid themselves and took me on a fun scavenger hunt around the city!  If there's one thing I really love, it's surprises, but hanging out with these two is up at the top, too:)  I felt like the luckiest girl around. At each location they had fun and creative clues wrapped up as presents to lead me to the next destination.
We started the night going to a lovely restaurant in the Plaza that has big windows where you can watch people passing by on the sidewalk.  It reminded me of being in New York City, small and intimate with a view of passersby.
Next, I got a special clue.
Wade and I met in a bar in Kansas City.  Not just any bar, though.  It's in the oldest building in Kansas City, so that makes it classier.
They've still got it after all these years.  Kissing by the kissing post:)
What a fateful night all those years ago.
We continued my birthday pub crawl to Snow & Co., a place that specializes in fancy frozen cocktails.  Wade and I had taken my parents here for my mom's birthday during the summer, and I had been itching to go back.
The drinks were ok, but truthfully I would have rather just had a frozen strawberry margarita.  A fun visit, though!  We ended the night hitting a bar in the Power and Light district that specialized in 90s dance music.  Wade was in paradise:)  We never go out to clubs anymore (and I use that term loosely here), so it was fun to say we did it, but definitely don't feel like we're missing anything.  Leave that to the youngsters and the cougars there prowling their next conquest.  We're old and married, and I like that.  As I'm typing this, it makes me think about how I was feeling the night I met Wade at Kelly's compared to this night when I went there with Wade as my husband of 5 years.  The night I met Wade, I felt so lost and unsure what the future would bring.  I was tired of the rat race of dating already.  It feels incredibly satisfying now to be able to visit the place where our adventure first embarked and reminisce and know that while I don't know exactly what the future holds, at least I have this guy by my side.

Sorry for getting off topic.  I wanted to end by saying what an INCREDIBLE night this was!  I felt so loved and was overwhelmed by the effort and thoughtfulness put into the evening.  I wish we could have scavenger hunts all the time.  A big thank you to you, Chad and Amy!  Thank you for making it such a memorable night and birthday.  We love you guys!

8 comments:

  1. Chad and Amy definitely get the best brother and SIL award! How sweet! You're such a blessed girl. Can't wait to hear more about it tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I am really lucky:) Can't wait to catch up tomorrow, too!

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful night. Lucky you having such nice people in your life to take you out and show you a good time. I know what you mean about clubs. Not for me any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know I'm not the only one not missing the club scene:) Thanks so much, CJ, and hope you're having a great day!

      Delete
  3. What a fun night! and so thoughtful of him to bring you to the place you first met!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was thoughtful:) Hope you're having a great night!

      Delete
  4. Aww happy belated birthday . Looks like a fun night well spent.

    ReplyDelete

I truly appreciate each comment! I love hearing from you guys and treasure every one. I respond to comments via e-mail if you have yours enabled. This is going to be a great day!